• Aged 18 through 65 years
• Being on at least 50% sick-leave at the interview. Sick-leave for a maximum of one year if on full-time sick leave at the interview, or for a maximum of three years if on part-time sick leave at the interview
• Body mass index (BMI) of between 18 and 26
• Meets the diagnostic criteria for Exhaustion Syndrome from the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare, ICD 10 code; F43.8A
• Having other diseases that could give similar symptoms or hamper recovery
• Not speaking Swedish well enough and not being well enough to participate in the study interventions
• Using medication, including medication containing glucocorticoids. Exceptions: antidepressants, sedatives, contraceptives and hormone replacement therapy. The patients were asked to take the same prescribed doses at both assessment times.